I’ve done a couple of covers recently and, rather than draw a lot of thumbnails, I thought I’d print out a full size template and do a rough drawing on that. Then I scanned this rough drawing, enlarged it, printed it on A3 Bristol Board, and used it as a base for the pencilling. The thing I like about doing it this way is that I can stay closer to the ‘feel’ of the original sketch, as opposed to my usual practice of going off at a tangent and probably losing whatever it was that I liked about it in the first place.
But, being me, I still had to go through all the rigmarole of a false start. Below is a drawing that seemed to do the job:
All it needed was a slight adjustment:
I dropped it onto a cover template, adjusting the size so that the logo was still legible and that there was room for the barcode thingy (very important):
Then I added a bunch of homicidal maniacs:
I then enlarged the image to fit A3 and printed it on the Bristol board. And just couldn’t make it work when I came to pencil it. So I cut my losses and started again:
Didn’t bother with the logo stage, and just got on with the pencilling (I’m currently drawing with a Derwent HB pencil and undrawing with a Mars Staedtler plastic eraser, for wheresoever travels Micky’s pencil, can his eraser be far behind?)
You can see (below) that I didn’t reproduce the original facial expression (above) properly, at the time I thought it would be okay but it was a mistake, I should have stuck with it:
Scanned and printed the pencil drawing. Had a practice ink that included a face that I quite liked:
And then did the ‘proper’ inking (using Mitsubishi uniPin Fine Line pigment pen size 0.3 and Pilot Calligraphy pens 01 and 02), without putting in the solid blacks, or inking the face:
In Photoshop I filled in the blacks and pasted in the face:
I then had a practice colour session in Photoshop using the practice inking file (no, I don’t know why either, it’s not as if the ‘proper’ drawing is on real paper):
And then went ahead with the final colouring:
And here is the final cover:
Verdict: Well I do sort of like it, but I wish that I’d stuck with the original expression, and also that I’d done a lot more with the foreground dead chap with the axe in his hand, he should have looked like a real fightin’ man.
And I still didn’t leave enough room for the barcode…