Posts Tagged ‘Pen and Ink Drawing’
Maybe it could be argued that the zombie at the back never had any legs, and that Hellboy’s right leg is obscured by the zombie in the foreground, but I’m not sure it’s an argument you’d win…
Whatever, my roughs, pencils, and inks, and Dave Stewart’s colouring, for the cover of Dark Horse Presents #32.
Hellboy logo added to the above by Kevin Foakes.
In 1981 I drew a story for DC Thomson’s Starblazer Picture Library. I’ve not seen it for years, but Tim Keable just bought a copy from eBay and has sent me scans of the whole sixty four page book, a herculean task for which I thank him.
Picture libraries, especially from Fleetway, used to be my favourite comics when I was a kid, so I was delighted when my agent asked me about drawing the book. I used to binge on the war libraries during family holidays at the seaside, starting when I was seven or eight (I was really boring on holiday, if I wasn’t drawing I’d be reading comics). Seaside towns were great places for buying comics, they always seemed to have a year’s worth of books on their racks. It was on holiday that I first saw a copy of Mad magazine, and also where I bought The Conquest of Mexico, the only Classics Illustrated comic that I still own.
I drew this around the time I was working on the Judge Dredd serial ‘Block Mania’, and both were inked by filling in the shadows with a brush and then doing the linework with a dip pen, the idea being that you didn’t waste time drawing lines around areas that would eventually be solid black – ‘Put the blacks in first, Micky’, as Master Gibbons was wont to advise.
Here’s the first thirteen pages.
Any doubts about the appeal of the Judge Dredd strip must surely have been overcome when he was able to survive this catastrophic piece of drawing.
I’ve been meaning to post this for a while now, but as usual I don’t have a copy of either the comic or the album. So thanks (?) to Adrian Salmon for the scan.
I’ve done a couple of covers recently and, rather than draw a lot of thumbnails, I thought I’d print out a full size template and do a rough drawing on that. Then I scanned this rough drawing, enlarged it, printed it on A3 Bristol Board, and used it as a base for the pencilling. The thing I like about doing it this way is that I can stay closer to the ‘feel’ of the original sketch, as opposed to my usual practice of going off at a tangent and probably losing whatever it was that I liked about it in the first place.
But, being me, I still had to go through all the rigmarole of a false start. Below is a drawing that seemed to do the job:
All it needed was a slight adjustment:
I dropped it onto a cover template, adjusting the size so that the logo was still legible and that there was room for the barcode thingy (very important):
Then I added a bunch of homicidal maniacs:
I then enlarged the image to fit A3 and printed it on the Bristol board. And just couldn’t make it work when I came to pencil it. So I cut my losses and started again:
Didn’t bother with the logo stage, and just got on with the pencilling (I’m currently drawing with a Derwent HB pencil and undrawing with a Mars Staedtler plastic eraser, for wheresoever travels Micky’s pencil, can his eraser be far behind?)
You can see (below) that I didn’t reproduce the original facial expression (above) properly, at the time I thought it would be okay but it was a mistake, I should have stuck with it:
Scanned and printed the pencil drawing. Had a practice ink that included a face that I quite liked:
And then did the ‘proper’ inking (using Mitsubishi uniPin Fine Line pigment pen size 0.3 and Pilot Calligraphy pens 01 and 02), without putting in the solid blacks, or inking the face:
In Photoshop I filled in the blacks and pasted in the face:
I then had a practice colour session in Photoshop using the practice inking file (no, I don’t know why either, it’s not as if the ‘proper’ drawing is on real paper):
And then went ahead with the final colouring:
And here is the final cover:
Verdict: Well I do sort of like it, but I wish that I’d stuck with the original expression, and also that I’d done a lot more with the foreground dead chap with the axe in his hand, he should have looked like a real fightin’ man.
And I still didn’t leave enough room for the barcode…